In order to do something different each week of the year, I have a list of challenges to undertake...

Sunday 10 February 2013

Week 6 - Complete a Jigsaw

I'm undecided about jigsaws - although they are fun to do, I always feel a bit guilty, as if I should be doing something more productive.

At least with other spare time hobbies, when you are reading, or going for a walk, or baking, or knitting, or doing a crossword - or even watching the tele - you get something out the other end, or it is generally good for you in some way.

Jigsaws - well, I mean, once you've spent some hours, over a number of days putting all those little pieces together, all you do is break it all up again! It hardly adds to your life - you might as well have not bothered and just die a bit earlier instead.

But that's a bit harsh, really - I think that there is a place for doing something just for the sake of doing it, it's fairly mindless, but at the end of the day, it's enjoyable, and you do get some sense of satisfaction at the other end.

I wish someone would tell that to my conscience, though, as it points out the pile of ironing or a dozen other things that I 'should' do instead...


6 comments:

  1. Jigsaws are a delicious luxury for precisely the reasons you feel guilty about them (as does just about everyone else I know who enjoys puzzles!) Tell yourself you are exercising your brain, probably just as good for you as Suduko or crosswords :}

    Have you seen the 'Jigsaws Galore' game? Download from the Apple store if you've got a Mac, or there is a Windows version. It's absolutely bloomin' brilliant and unlike a 'real' puzzle you can close the program, forget about it for a few days and the puzzle doesn't beckon irresistibly every time you walk past! Let me know if you need URLs :}

    PS: it's such a brilliant game I actually paid for the full version after I downloaded the trial. You can then use your own pics to make fiendish unique puzzles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I daren't go anywhere Jigsaws Galore, Bilbo!

      Although you say you can close it down and forget about it, I suspect that as I am sitting in front of the screen for work all day, the temptation to open it up in an 'idle moment' is just as great at the temptation of just stopping to pop a piece or two in 'as you are passing' with a real jigsaw!

      Delete
  2. Look on it as exercise for the brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, now you mention it, aren't jigsaws recommended in old folks homes for precisely that reason?!

      Delete
  3. We used to do them when the kids were little and later we found "Wasgij"s" which take some time, but are great fun. I'm like Hazel and feel terribly guilty if I'm not doing something that should be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have Wasgijs here too, Sue - I've joined in when mum's had one on the go on occasion. As you say, all good fun!

      Delete