In order to do something different each week of the year, I have a list of challenges to undertake...

Sunday 15 December 2013

Week 50 - Clear out the Garage

I wonder if we all have an area that we use as a sort of holding bay where we put stuff until such time as we can think what to do with it?

For me, on a small scale, it's the kitchen windowsill by the back door which ends up as a dumping ground - at the mo it includes a couple of odd hooks left over from some DIY, pair of pliers (ditto), wire ties and a few plant labels from the allotment, the gate remote, and a nice stone I picked up when I was in the park the other day.

On a larger scale, it's the little attic room which collects 'stuff' - boxes from things I've bought, miscellaneous computer equipment which doesn't appear to be vital to the running of the home office, but I don't like to throw away, company archives from the year dot.

And on a larger scale again, it's the garage.

I'm hoping to get a chest freezer in the new year, and that will involve a re-shuffle in the garage if I'm not going to back into it every time I put the car away, and so I spent a happy couple of hours getting everything out and reacquainting myself with the contents of the various boxes on the shelving.

Before:


I ended up with 4 black bags of rubbish, all the canes and wood stacked/stored correctly, a pile of roottrainers (I don't get on with them!) and pricking out trays which I'll donate to the allotments, and a miscellaneous heap for the charity shop. I swept the garage out (had a fight with the biggest spider in the world who had hold of the other end of the broom), and neatly put all the 'keeps' back on the shelves. 

After:

I have a tidy garage, and space for a new freezer - so that's my week 50 Challenge done!

4 comments:

  1. Well done and I suppose we've just done that sort of thing when we moved. Hope we keep the "stuff" down when we move into our new house. Why do we accumulate?
    Take care. BTW, I bet your spider wasn't as big as our huntsman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea why we hoard stuff, Sue - I'm guessing that it's easier to put something in a 'temporary' place that to make a decision about what to do with it!

      I looked up images of huntsman spiders - ugh - I am now not coming to Australia!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Yes you are, as we get very few inside and they are harmless, although ugly.
      See you soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    3. I don't care how harmless they are, they are far too big for comfort!!

      Delete